Monday, October 7, 2013

statrep1


As of late I have been quiet about my thesis (which is referred to as the great project in my notes due to the fact that it will take me much of my life to perfect). This lack of information is due to the fact that production has stalled over the past week due to unavoidable distractions. By distractions I am referring to the fact that plaster dust prevents the glue that I use to make my prototypes from working and so I have been trying to clean my studio as it is a plaster hellhole. I may have trashed my studio in a fit of rage last week and somehow spawned a piece I call Rot.

 


 
 
 
 
 



 
 

This piece is the newest addition to my little menagerie of nightmares and travesties. Every so often I create a piece based on irrationality. Maybe this is a byproduct of my rational work? I don’t actually know why I keep making these things but I have to maintain a certain level of discipline to keep myself from filling the world with them.

 

 

Since I have been tasked with fabricating a piece that has to do with time I am at an impasse.

 

 I could find some systematic, orderly way to represent the passage of time through an abstract representation of the infinitely expanding universe.   

 

 I could also fixate on time as the ultimate destroyer which will devour and erase every trace of one’s existence leaving nothing behind.

 

I am fully committed to both yet both cannot exist simultaneously. Order rejects chaos. The irrational corrupts the rational. I am one or the other, not both and certainly not at the same time. My attempts to force a merger only work in simplistic pieces that have my entire body of work to fall back on.

 We'll see which side wins on Thursday.....
 

1 comment:

  1. "[. . .] dialectical thinking begins with the contradiction, [. . .] it means finding the inevitable contradiction at the heart of things and seeing and reconstructing them in terms of contradictions, or (if you prefer) that the various forms of non-dialectical thinking can always be identified as so many strategies for containing, repressing, or naturalizing contradictions as such."
    Frederic Jameson from 'Valences of the Dialectic'

    ReplyDelete